Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Building Community & Character

As we wrapped up the second full week of school, much of our focus was spent on building community within the classroom and with one another.  Working to establish a positive, supportive and safe classroom environment is something that I wanted to be both intentional and timely about - it had to start on day one.  My new firsties needed to feel secure, nurtured and loved by each other and by ME!

During those first few days of school, we established classroom procedures and expectations as a group.  We also spent time each day reviewing our school-specific behavior code known as S3R. It stands for: Safe, Responsible, Respectful, and Resourceful.  Students are encouraged and taught (by teachers and guidance counselor) to use this code to guide their thinking and behavior at school and at home.  Our music teacher even wrote a rap and created a music video about the S3R code that my students absolutely LOVE to sing and dance to!  I try to incorporate the music video at some point throughout each day as a brain break and a mini-character education reminder.

This past week I introduced my students to the book One by Kathryn Otoshi.  Not only does this book incorporate primary and secondary colors, numbers, and counting... it's central and guiding message is to show the importance of accepting the differences among each person and how just ONE voice is all that's needed to stand up to bullying and intolerance AND show that everyone counts!  What a powerful message and reminder to each of us!!

 
During the reading of One, I would pause on occasion and share some of my own think-alouds. (It's never too early to drop in a good reading comprehension strategy, right?)  My think-alouds would touch on the feelings of particular colors at that point in the story and how I could relate to that color at some time in my own life.   I wanted my think-alouds to serve as a model for my students and also to help guide them in their thinking for what would later be discussed as a whole group.  

After reading One, we discussed as a class the impact that our words, attitudes and actions can have on other people.  We brainstormed ways that we can help others (i.e., friends, classmates, siblings, acquaintances, etc.) both in and out of the school setting.  We also spent much time discussing what it looked like and sounded like to stand up for ourselves and for someone else.  I was so impressed with how open and willing to share each of my kiddos were.  I loved hearing all of their precious ideas for helping others and being a good friend...melted my heart!

Then I showed students a YouTube video of Kathryn Otoshi reading One accompanied with a dramatic interpretation performance by students from an elementary school in California.  My kiddos were really excited when I told them they would be watching the author read her own book and they enjoyed seeing children act out the pages of the story that we just read and discussed.  They even clapped at the end of the video!  So cute!!





 

This is the page from the book that inspired the student art activity.  The book remained opened to this particular page of One for student reference as they were working.


I simply took the text from the page in the book (as shown above), and recreated it with space on the top for students to add either the colored numbers or colored circles (depending on their own preference).  I printed the page on computer paper (maybe not my first choice next time around) and used a glue stick to paste it onto small and thicker poster board/heavy construction paper before distributing to the students.

Using watercolors and small paint brushes, students began creating their "version" of the page.  Crayons and colored pencils were used to color in the number 1.

Materials:

Sometimes it just takes ONE freebie page; poster board/heavy construction paper (maybe varying colors to serve as a boarded for student work); watercolors and brushes; crayons/colored pencils

Below are two close-ups of student work.  One student chose to write out the numbers with the watercolors and the other chose to paint colored circles. 




The pictures below show how the student work is currently being displayed in the classroom.
Each one is different and unique... I just love that!


Their work has also served as a visual reminder to all and reference (when necessary) of the message of One.


A day or so after this activity, we followed up the reading of One with another of Kathryn Otoshi's book - Zero.  My students really enjoyed reading Zero because they felt like they already "knew" most of the characters.  This book also provides a great platform for discussing character and self-esteem.


As teachers we have such a big responsibility to our students, not just in helping them to achieve their greatest academic success but also by creating a classroom community and culture that is accepting, respectful, and proud of individuality.  Although a HUGE undertaking, I am up for the challenge but - at the same time - am SO thankful I have discovered great resources like One and Zero to help me along the way!  

Many thanks to my fabulous first grade team for sharing these books and countless other resources and ideas with me!!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment