Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Burlap, chevron, hot glue...ohh my!

You can say that I was bitten by the crafty bug over the summer.  Like hard.  It had a good hold on me and somehow was obsessed (only just slightly obsessed) with burlap fabric and chevron.  Knowing that I would be taking on the task of decorating a new classroom for a new grade, I decided to embrace that crafty bug of mine and go for it! 

Each of the classrooms in my school is designed with a ceiling to floor shelving and cubbies unit that takes up the entire back wall of the room.  In theory, this is a wonderful idea...what teacher doesn't want or couldn't use MORE storage space?!  However, it can also create somewhat of an eye sore when each of those cubbies is exposed with random items such as curriculum resources, craft materials, holiday decorations, school supplies...the list goes on. Wanting to keep the aesthetic feature of my classroom a high priority and knowing that I tend to be hoarder (You know, the whole, "I might need this again. I'd hate to throw this away and be wasteful. I'm not quite sure what I could use this for but it's too good to throw out." kind of logic.  Am I reading anyone else's mail yet??  Yep, uh-huh, caught ya!), I decided that making curtains to cover up some of those cubbies and shelves was an absolute must!  Let the crafting, cutting, and gluing begin!!

Below is a picture of the shelving unit in my classroom taken during the summer on one of my first days getting my new classroom cleaned out and organized. Eeeekk! 


I decided that placing curtain panels over the cubbies across the top of the unit would work best and look the most appealing for my taste.  Starting on the far left (it's kind of cut off until you click on the picture) and moving across the top, I have labeled where the curtains would be placed.  Next it was time to measure and head over to my favorite fabric store, Jo-Ann Fabric.   

Part 1: Fabric Shopping

I didn't walk into Jo-Ann Fabrics with exact fabric choices in mind, but after hours (I am NOT exaggerating) of aimlessly wandering back and forth through fabric aisles and even elliciting help from one of the sweet fabric cutter associates, I had decided on my fabrics for the curtain panels.  Yippee! 


I chose a natural burlap fabric. I felt that this neutral color would be the perfect backdrop for the two brightly colored chevron fabrics (shown below) that will serve as the curtain's bottom trim. 



        

This fabric is called Keepsake Calico Blue-Ombre Chevron.  I fell in love with it almost immediately and am pretty sure it was on sale at the time of purchase!

       

Unfortunately, I did not take a picture of the yellow and gray chevron fabric during my first visit to Jo-Ann's and when I went back I could not find the fabric anywhere.  I even searched online with the style/SKU number from my original receipt (told you I was a hoarder) and still could not find this fabric's exact name.  This small swatch is all I had left and snapped a quick picture of it to post here. 

       
  
When deciding on the trim size, I came across the fabric quarters shown above and decided that it was the perfect width for the chevron fabric pieces that would go across the bottom of each panel. The sweet fabric cutting associate (I think her name was Sonya) used this as her reference when cutting the blue and yellow chevron fabrics.  

When laying out the burlap and chevron trim, I still felt like the curtains were missing that certain "pizzazz" that I had envisioned and so my aimless wandering led me to the ribbon and tassels area. My eyes were immediately drawn to these ombre turquoise petals ribbon (not exactly ribbon, but cannot think of a better word) and white petals and then the lightbulb went off...these petals could be an additional accent trim for the top portion of the curtain panels! Woohoo, the fabric selections and curtain design was now in place.  Time to go home and make my curtains! There's one more thing though... I don't sew!! I've heard countless other talk about this whole DIY no sew curtains, so I figured that with limited sewing ability the no sew route was my best (if not, only) option. 

                

                                         

Part 2: Curtain Making
   
Once I arrived home with the fabric and extra bags of hot glue sticks (these supported the whole "no sew" approach), I was ready and motivated to begin my crafty work! 

I cut the burlap to fit the size of my shelves/cubbies (36 inches x 36 inches) and then folded over approximately 2 - 2 1/2 inches to make the pocket for a standard curtain rod to fit and hot glued in place along the entire fold.  I also wanted the edges of my panels to have a "finished" look, so I folded the left and right sides of each panel over about 1 inch and hot glued in place.  I was surprised that it did not take a lot of hot glue to seal the burlap folds together AND the glue did not discolor or seep through.  You better believe that these "small successes" were celebrated by me in the moment! Ha!  I followed this same procedure for all 8 curtain panels.

With 8 curtain panels total being made and 2 different colors of chevron fabric, I alternated using the blue ombre chevron trim and yellow/gray chevron trim. This fabric was laid out flush to the bottom of the panel and then moved down slightly so that the fabric could be folded under the burlap on the back side, creating that "finished" look once again using hot glue to hold the fabric in place on both the back and front of the panel.  This part of the project was the most time-consuming as my attempts to ensure that the chevron pattern was even across the entire bottom of the panel could not be thwarted. Ahhhh!  After about panel 4, I found my rhythm and this part of the project became easier. 

Once the chevron trims were in place, I laid out the coordinating flower petal ribbon about 1 1/2 inches below where the curtain rod would be.  The hot glue easily held the flower petal ribbon in place across the top.  

Voila! After the first curtain panel was made, I placed a curtain rod into the pocket and checked out the finished product! 

          

The FIRST curtain panel was complete!  Only 7 more to go!  I was SO happy (and tired, as it was around 1:30 am) taking this picture that I did not even mind the huge mess that it shows in the background.  Eek! 

           

This was the FIRST yellow panel!  I called it a night shortly after this picture was taken.  The remaining 6 panels were made in the two days following these photos and hung in the classroom about a week later.

Take a look at how they turned out and look in my classroom!  I was very, very pleased with the final result and after such the effort, will definitely be using these curtains for YEARS to come!!


 

   


  

I hot glued clothespins upside-down on either side of the shelves/cubbies to hold the curtain rods in place.  This cheap and easy little trick makes for much easier removal of the curtains if necessary throughout the school year or in the future if I were to ever switch classrooms. 


Here is a view from the front of the classroom of all the curtain panels in place.  What a difference!!  I am officially in love!  #burlapandchevronforlife 

2 comments:

  1. I must make burlap curtains. They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! :-) Let me know how they turn out!

      Delete