Tuesday, November 25, 2014

New TpT product .... Visualizing Illustration Sheets

The finishing touches on my latest Teachers Pay Teachers product were made while still in my PJ's and enjoying my coffee this morning!  
( That's allowed.  I'm on Thanksgiving break, remember?! Ha! )  

The product - Visualizing Illustration Sheets - can now be found in my TpT store.


This product was created to supplement our Visualizing Unit in reading this year.  My students have really enjoyed sketching out mental images in their mind as I read to them or as they read independently and then using these illustration pages to help their mental images come to life on paper.  These pages have also served as good conversation starters when reading a story whole group and sharing the variety of mental images created by each of the students, noting the similarities and the differences between them.

As we have moved through our reading curriculum, my students have really bought into the strategy of "making connections" to the stories and texts being introduced and read.  They are SO eager to share their text-to-self and text-to-text connections and thinking with me and their friends.  When first introducing visualizing as a reading strategy, I piggy-backed off of the making connections strategy already in place...modeling and sharing with my firsties that sketching and painting mental pictures in my mind also helps me to "connect" with the story and become a more engaged and growing reader.  With the help of the visualizing illustration pages and relating this strategy back to our "being a scientist skills" - using our 5 senses - my firsties are becoming more involved in the stories we read together and those they read independently.  They have also enjoyed using the illustration pages as a way to showcase their creative mental images and share them with their classmates.  I just love it!

Be sure to stop by my TpT store to check out the Visualizing Illustration Sheets!  I certainly hope they will serve as a great supplemental resource for you and your students!  

Thanks for stopping by!  Enjoy your day!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment